Friday, April 25, 2008

Final Exams and a Chinese Gyaru


No time to write recently due to the lethal combination of final exam preparation and procrastination, however...

I did have the interesting experience of seeing a Chinese 'gyaru' on the train the other day (A 'gyaru,' Japanese take of the word 'gal,' is a type of trend in Japan where the girls do themselves up like scantily clad, smoking hot tropical Hawaiian Barbie dolls). This girl actually had me fooled - when I tried my usual pickup line in quick Japanese, she laughed and replied back "I'm Chinese.."

Just going by looks though, she was about as close to a real Japanese gyaru as I've seen in NY thus far - bleached blond hair, tussled ends, funky eye makeup, and wearing a tiny one-piece and sweater with a Dior necklace and low heels. Very nice.

I've heard rumors that the 'gyaru' phenomenon has spread to other Asian countries. I can only hope that it spreads to Asian-American chicks too!

P.S. - You may have realized that a large part of my social interaction these days takes place on the train... that should be an indication of just how pathetic my life has become since entering law school...

No comments: