Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where we stand...

Does any young person ever really picture themselves as a future adult with "no one to talk to"?

For the last three decades of my life, I found it so easy to scoff at my parents who, now into their fifties and sixties, basically haven't had friends for as long as I can remember. I would always think to myself, "what degree of social reject doesn't have one single friend they can call on?" Well, now I think I understand how that result happens.

With me now facing my thirties, my two closest friends from childhood, who were pretty much always around, have both faded off into the distance. One is being held at Riker's Island for weapons possession and reckless endangerment. The other, having moved out of state some years back, has fallen so solidly into the cycle of drug addiction that the only thing that can really save him now is becoming a born-again Christian (although I think he's already used that out once before).

As for my parents, "socializing" with them brings me more aggravation than laughs, although I know I'm not alone there.

Same goes for most of my law school classmates, who are generally a bit younger than me and a whole lot less schooled to the world.

Females are always an option, but I just don't have the time right now to be running game like I used to. Maintaining the ones I have now is enough work.

Yes, my days and nights as of late have been pretty dismal. However, I can't say I haven't been here and worse before. It seems like for every good year I have, it gets followed by three or so bad ones. That would make life somewhere around 75% down, 25% up.

Still, that's a pretty good ratio considering.

No comments: